An AMAZING 111 artists are part of a compilation e-album containing 121 songs – a record-breaking number for a single release. This AMAZING compilation is now selling for just $10. Proceeds will go to the Canadian Cancer Society (60%) for research and prostate cancer awareness, and Bluewater Health Foundation (40%) for the hospital’s new Cancer Care Assessment and Treatment Centre.
“This fundraiser not only benefits prostate cancer research and awareness,” says Kevin Thorne, who spearheaded the project, “but also promises to open purchasers’ eyes and ears to new music they wouldn’t otherwise have heard.”
The project started when Kevin was diagnosed with prostate cancer last year after having his PSA (Prostate-Specific Antigen) tested. Luckily, it was discovered early enough and he is cancer-free after a radical prostatectomy to remove the prostate gland and tissue around it.
As a musician, Kevin felt music was the best way to give back. “Besides raising funds for cancer research, we want this album to help raise awareness of the need for men over 40 to have their PSA checked regularly,” he says. “It’s just a simple blood test, and could save your life. It did mine – literally. Working with the Sarnia Lambton office of the Canadian Cancer Society, Bluewater Health and Bluewater Health Foundation seemed like the best way to get the word out to help others.”
Solo artists and bands from Canada, the United Kingdom, the U.S., and all over the world, are showing their support for the fight against cancer through this project. All types of music are represented, from country to rock, ambient to trance, pop to dance…..and more! Of the 111 artists who have contributed songs for the AMAZING compilation e-album, many are internationally-known musicians. The list features:
· Dan Hill who is perhaps best known for his hit, “Sometimes When We Touch;”
· Colm Wilkinson whose performances in classics such as Phantom Of The Opera and Les Misérables have been thrilling theatre audiences around the world;
· Natalie MacMaster, virtuoso Cape Breton fiddler;
· Sunny Choi, International Piano Artist, listed #12 by Billboard magazine in its “Next Big Sound” chart;
· Rita Chiarelli, Canada’s most highly acclaimed female roots and blues artist;
· Bob Egan, of Blue Rodeo fame, who has carved out his own niche with powerful solo recordings;
· Anjani, a frequent collaborator with Leonard Cohen who has appeared on the Jools Holland TV Show;
· Leah West, currently #2 on the Reverbnation Canadian Pop Charts and #136 in the world (out of Reverbnation’s 1.4 million artists); and
· Dream Aria, one of the top bands on myspace today – #1 on the progressive global overall myspace charts.
Distribution has been arranged with CDBaby. Download the compilation from www.amazingcomp.ca/buy. A free iPhone app with 15 seconds from all songs submitted is also available. The app has already been downloaded almost 3,000 times: http://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/amazing/id438735841?mt=8
Photo of Dan Hill by Tory Zimmerman.