A Saturday afternoon incident at a home in the 100 block of Euphemia turned out to be an apparent mishap involving butane in an alleged drug-making operation, says a Sarnia Fire Rescue service official.
While the building, which was identified as a duplex, did not catch fire, a fireball did erupt, which resulted in some 14 firefighters responding from three stations.
The incident occurred around 3:30 p.m.
City fire investigator Roel Bus said firefighters found no fire, but damage believed to be the result of a fireball in one of the units. All three of the units suffered damage, including windows blown out in the basement and main floor and the shifting of a wall on the main floor.
One tenant was sent to hospital with what are being described as non-life threatening burns. That person was later released. A second person who was in the duplex, sustained minor burns.
While the Ontario Fire Marshal’s Office was notified Saturday night, City Fire investigators ended up handling the aftermath.
By mid-Sunday morning, the decision to refer the case to Sarnia Police had been made.
The building was cleared for occupancy after an assessment of the building for structural integrity.