The Sarnia Sting has acquired two new players in a complex deal with the Ottawa 67’s that involves four players and several draft picks some going out as far as 2022.
Coming to Sarnia are right winger Travis Konecny and Sam Studnicka, an overage centre. Sarnia has sent Sasha Chmelevski and Chase Campbell to Ottawa.
“This is a defining moment for us as an organization,” said Sting general manager Nick Sinclair. “We couldn’t be happier to welcome Travis Konecny and Sam Studnicka. Travis’ combination of leadership, skill and character make him a player that every coach wants in his lineup and every fan wants on their team. Sam plays with a similar type of tenacity and plays with a physical presence.”
The deal includes Sarnia getting Ottawa’s third round pick in 2016.
Sarnia has signed over 10 future picks, including:
- 2nd round pick in 2016 (Owen Sound)
- 2nd round pick in 2017 (Sault Ste. Marie)
- 3rd round pick in 2017 (Windsor)
- 5th round pick in 2017 (Saginaw)
- 2nd round pick in 2019 (Sarnia)
- 3rd round pick in 2019 (Sarnia)
- 5th round pick in 2019 (Oshawa)
- 3rd round pick in 2020 (Sarnia)
- 2nd round pick in 2021 (Sarnia)—conditional
- 2nd round pick in 2022 (Sarnia)—conditional